12:30 PM - 2:00 PM
$19.50/week for 32 weeks and a one-time $75 material fee
Learn to appreciate the wonder of God's creation during this Apologia Biology course! For most students, this will be the first truly rigorous science course ever taken. It does require time and patience. The class will consist of lectures, video clips, hands-on activities, group projects, class discussions, labs, and games.
You will need to devote 45 minutes to 1 hour per school day, minimum, to studying biology just for the CHE class. Required work includes weekly reading, answering assigned questions from the text, informal lab reports, completing open book take-home tests, and studying for quizzes for the material that needs to be memorized (mostly vocabulary.)
Students will gain experience using a microscope to study slides. Students will also gain experience with dissections. Dissections may be done with a lab partner with prior approval. Each student will be charged $40 for the dissection kit specimens. Students will participate in a lab or activity every week, and they will have to complete an informal lab report as homework. This may be finishing up the labeling of drawings from the microscope or writing a conclusion explaining what they learned from the activity done in class.
This curriculum has 16 Modules. Each module will take appoximately 2 class periods to complete. It will be critical to help your new High Schooler manage their time to complete assignments for this course. This is not a remedial class. It will be imperative that the parents stay up to date with the teacher via the Student Portal/Google Classroom system. The teacher will email the student and the parent.
Students will be assigned a Science Fair type project, which will require extra time, resources, and a modest amount of money. The teacher will lead the students and give explicit instructions on how to complete the project.
· Students must have the access to Google Classroom to stay in communication with the teacher and to receive homework assignments.
· Students must come to class on time, be seated, and be prepared to begin class at 12:30.
· Students must turn in assigned homework.
· Students who cannot complete homework assignments and bring them to class on time may not be ready for this college-prep Biology class.Students must be able to read and write at the 9th-grade level minimum.
· Students must actively participate in class discussions, complete labs, dissections, and presentations.
Required text & supplies:
· Exploring Creation with Biology Text, 3rd, Edition, Publication: 2020 Paperback, 716 pages, Apologia Educational Ministries, ISBN-13: 9781946506450
· Loose-leaf paper- brought to class
· 3 ring binder- this will be for keeping handouts
· Spiral notebook for class notes
· Index cards- for definitions
· Holder for Index cards
· Colored pencils
· Not required but extremely helpful is the multimedia CD. The CD contains audio pronunciations of the technical words used in the book. The CD contains a video or animation that corresponds to the Module being read. This is extra material to aid the student.