CREATIVE WRITING FOR HIGH SCHOOL
This fun and interactive class will focus on different poetry and prose forms.
Creative writing develops creative thoughts by allowing students to use their imaginations, suggest alternatives, broaden their thought process and problem-solving abilities. It also allows the student to show their opinions and develop their voice. And, it improves their logical skills.
Creative writing (1) dispels the awe of literature and creates active learners; (2) develops critical readers; (3) furthers student understanding of literary criticism; (4) inspires deeper commitment to excellence; and (5) motivates class bonding and dismantles the classroom hierarchy.
This class will encourage young writers to speak their truth in a fun, non-judgmental environment! Also, students will gain inspiration for writing prompts from a variety of different sources including but not limited to poetry, short stories, quotes, art pieces, and music lyrics. Peer reviews and sharing ideas are essential elements of this course.
Homework expectations: Each week, you will be expected to dedicate at least 2-4 hours responding to a writing prompt and reading any necessary materials. This class is designed for students who enjoy writing.
It is recommended to have your student bring a laptop to class for in-class writing prompts.
· Students must have computer access, able to research and write on historical subjects.
· Students must have Microsoft Word/ MS Word or some common word-processing program
· Students must have the ability to email papers to the teacher.
· Students must come to class on time, be seated, and be prepared to begin class
· Students must turn in assigned homework.
· Students must actively participate in class discussions and presentations.
Required text & supplies:
· Loose-leaf paper- brought to class
· 2” - 3 ring binder - to collect readings and primary sources
· A sketchbook (which will be provided on the first day of class and is included in your supply cost)
Teacher: Ms. Lindsey Nance
Cost: $19.50/week for 32 weeks and a one-time $40 material fee