HIGH SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY
This course focuses on the diverse science of psychology and will help students understand thinking, learning, emotion, social relations, mental illness, and human behavior. Students will learn how the knowledge, methods, and theories of psychologists are applied to analyzing human behavior. This course will help students develop critical thinking skills.
*Please note some of the material taught in this class will require maturity. Some topics may include but are not limited to criminal behavior, the psychology behind serial killers, illegal drugs, severe mental illness, and more.
Students want to understand themselves and others, and we, as educators, have an opportunity to help them gain self-awareness and insight, learn social and emotional skills like collaboration and communication.
Psychology is the study of how our human minds work and how they function. In this course, you are taught several things, from terms used in the field, to theories of how the mind works and the people who helped develop these theories. When connecting the dots to how our minds can work in different situations, most students start to correlate what they learn with the outside world. Understanding how and why people act the way they do can give a new or even deeper perspective on how to handle these situations.
Students should plan to spend 3-6 hours each week reading the assigned chapters and completing homework assignments.
Required: Textbook TBD ~ $50-$75
· Students must have computer access, able to research and write on historical subjects.
· Students must have Microsoft Word/ MS Word or some common word-processing program mainly for
creating documents, such as handouts and students' homework assignments
· Students must have the ability to email papers to the teacher.
· Students must come to class on time, be seated, and be prepared to begin class
· Students must turn in assigned homework.
· Students must actively participate in class discussions and presentations
Required Materials: 2-composition or spiral notebook 1 folder markers 3 different colored pens
Teacher: Ms. Lindsey Nance
Cost: $19.50 /week for 32 weeks and a one-time $50 material fee